Active Leadership Course
- The award is designed to provide trained, knowledgeable and enthusiastic community based physical activity leaders.
- Leaders will be equipped to work in a wide range of locations including local clubs, community groups, workplaces, community centres and sports’ clubs.
- Leaders will aim to increase participation rates in physical activity in a variety of practical ways: –
- Encourage a wide range of people, such as friends, colleagues and contacts to take up active leisure pursuits.
- Apply their knowledge and skills to plan, organise and lead safe, enjoyable activity sessions with small groups.
- Assist in the planning, organising and running of community sports days.
Aims & Objectives of the Course
- The training course has been developed by a cross border Development Committee comprising representatives of the Irish Sports Council, the Sports Council for Northern Ireland, and Sport for All tutors from Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.
- It is intended that the course is a practical and enjoyable experience for the participant.
- The intended outcome is that the trainee leader will be competent and confident in taking charge of a group for physical activity sessions. Specifically, the successful leader will be equipped with the necessary knowledge and skills to plan, organise and lead physical activity sessions within their own group setting.
- The training courses are organised at local level by a wide range of organisations in a variety of settings, including:-
- Vocational Educational Committees.
- Local Sports Partnerships.
- District Councils.
- Education Boards.
- Library Boards.
- Community organisations.
- Voluntary organisations.
- At the start of the course, trainee leaders should be: –
- Over 16 years in Northern Ireland.
- Over 18 years in the Republic of Ireland.
Considerations for Course Leaders
- In selecting candidates for the course, consideration should be given to the following: –
- A person’s reasons for applying for the course.
- Opportunities for using the training.
- Links to clubs, community groups or other groupings.
- It is strongly advised that the course organiser is satisfied as to the suitability of applicants to leadership situations, including personal interest, enthusiasm and experience/common sense. The tutor will also assess these qualities throughout the course.
The Training Course
1. Aims & Objectives
- Firstly it is intended that the course is a practical and enjoyable experience for the participant.
- The intended outcome is that the trainee leader will be competent and confident in taking charge of a group for physical activity sessions. Specifically, the successful leader will be equipped with the necessary skills to plan, organise and lead physical activity sessions within their own group setting.
2. Learning Outcomes
- Following the course, the successful leader will: –
- Understand their role as a leader and how they will apply it within their organisation.
- Display an ability to plan and lead a fun physical activity session demonstrating leadership skills such as communication, observation and group management.
- Demonstrate an ability to safely lead a group of up to 16 people.
3. Course Duration
- The total course will be 10 to 12 hours comprising of practical and theoretical units.
4. Course Modules
- What is Active Leadership?
- Leadership skills.
- Safety and injury prevention.
- Planning and organising.
- Signposting – opportunities for further development and training.
5. Practical activities
- Practical activities will be used to develop the participants’ leadership abilities, skills and knowledge.
- For a participant to successfully complete the training course, the Tutor should be confident in the leader’s ability to successfully plan and safely lead a fun activity session. All trainee leaders will be continuously assessed throughout the course on their: –
- Leadership skills.
- Personal skills.
- Trainees will receive a tutor evaluation/feedback form identifying areas that may need further work following assessment, and trainees who receive a satisfactory course assessment will be advised as to whether they can lead or co lead Active Leadership sessions within their target group.
For Further Information on this course for you or your group. Please Contact James on 065 6865434 / 087 9627696 .